Before you start on this journey with me, you must learn to savor every piece of food that enters your mouth. Don’t just gobble up everything that comes your way in 10 seconds flat! These exercises will help you become a food tasting expert!
1) Pay attention to what you eat. Don’t eat while watching TV or talking on the phone. You will miss out on all the delicious flavors if you do that!
2) Slow down when you eat! When you eat slowly, you inhale more deeply. Thus draws more aromatic molecules into the olfactory receptors in the upper portion of your nose. Close your eyes when you eat and take in the flavors.
3) Spice up your life! Opt for spicy foods like Cajun or Thai cuisine. This will open up your taste buds to a whole new world of possibilities.
4) Try something new. Increase the diversity of texture, color and flavor of your food. This will introduce you to new smells and flavors. This will also help you distinguish flavors in contrasts to one another. There is no such thing as a picky food lover!
5)Cleanse your palate for the delights to come by sucking on a lemon wedge or orange segment. You can also snack on a soda cracker. If none of these are available, try sipping tepid water instead.
6) Use less salt! When you have too much salt, you over-stimulate your taste buds and lessen your ability to discern the subtle flavors in food.
7) Use less sugar for the same reasons as above.
8) Stop smoking. Nicotine dulls your taste buds and sense of smell. But thankfully our taste buds regenerate about every 10 days so if you quit smoking you will notice a heightened sense of taste and smell.
List courtesy of: howstuffworks.com